The South Carolina Dental Association (SCDA) and the South Carolina Oral Health Coalition (SCOHACC) have established an award to honor a dentist for excellence in providing care to and advocacy for individuals with special health care needs. This award which began in 2007 is co-sponsored by Specialized Care Company, and nominations are accepted through the Division of Oral Health. It is named for Dr. Salinas who dedicated his academic career to the service of individuals with special healthcare needs and their families.
Thank you to those who have submitted a nomination letter. A winner will be selected and announced at the Dr. Carlos F. Salinas Dental Program for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Individuals with Special Health Care Needs, Annual Continuing Education Course in the Fall.
The SC Oral Health Coalition (SCOHC) is comprised of a diverse group of stakeholders from private practice, public health, health care, academia and communities who are familiar with practice issues related to health care. The Division of Oral Health (DOH) staff work closely with the SCOHACC and it is considered part of the oral health infrastructure in South Carolina.The SCOHC was formed in November 2003 with the purpose of developing oral health promotion and disease activities at the state and community levels. These activities are intended to support the objectives in the South Carolina State Oral Health Plan (SCSOHP) and address lifespan oral health problems and issues affecting the state’s population. Over the last 12 years, through key partnerships, the SCOHC has expanded their state-wide network of stakeholders, consistently received funding to forward oral health improvement objectives, and have contributed to the success in reducing children’s oral health complications by addressing key priorities of the SCSOHP.
17th Annual Oral Health Forum: Making a Difference…Expanding the View of Oral Health
Over 95 stakeholders from across the state gathered to look at the current status of oral health in our state, highlight current programs and explore new ideas and initiatives. The event featured a keynote address from Dr. Robert Lustig who challenged attendees to dig dip into the nutritional impact of sugar on oral health and overall health.
Below are the presentations from this year’s Oral Health Forum:
- The State of Oral Health in SC – Dr. Ray Lala
- Making a Difference: Sugar Policy Decisions and the Impact on Obesity, Diabetes and Dental
Diseases – Dr. Robert Lustig
- Bureau of Community Nutrition Services – Sylvia Davis
- Diabetes-Nutrition and Oral Health – Michele James
- Nutrition and Oral Health – Dr. Ray Lala
- Strengthening Medical and Dental Collaborative
Referral Partners – The ROADS Experience – Dr. Chris Veschusi
- “Behavior IS Communication!” -My Mother’ s Story – Kathy Bradley
- Chronic Disease Connection to Oral Health – Alicia Johnston
- Medical-Dental Integration and Third Party Payer – Amy Miller
- Partnering with Help Me Grow SC to Promote Healthy Child Development – Lorraine Cragen-Sullivan
- WIC Works