PARENTS & FAMILIES
Parents play an important role in establishing early health habits including oral health. They need to be empowered and informed about the best way to protect their child’s smile and put them on the road to good oral health.
Parents can make a positive impact on their family’s oral health by simply following a few basic steps. These steps include:
– Wipe out your child’s mouth before teeth arrive and then begin brushing teeth two times a day.
– Floss regularly.
– Take your child to the dentist by age one and then continuing with regular visits. Happy First Birthday Card (pdf)
– Drink water with fluoride. Drinking Water: What Parents Need to Know (pdf). This dual language flyer explains to parents the benefits of drinking fluoridated water.
– Ask your doctor or dentist about fluoride varnish. Fluoride Varnish: What Parents Need to Know (pdf). This dual language flyer explains the importance of fluoride varnish as a tool to prevent tooth decay.
– Limit sugary foods and drinks and offer food at regular times each day rather than allowing children to snack all day long.
Here is an oral health brochure for parents of young children.